Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Real Life Stilgoe

While reading Stilgoes essay I was particularly interested in this portion:

Along some leafy street, surrounded by houses, sits a quarter acre of steel and copper transformers painted green or black, a dozen gray cabinets securely locked and decorated with bright yellow warning stickers, perhaps a pole or two, always one fitted with bright lights
Well, whaddya know, East Aurora has a place almost exactly like this! I've always found this militantly fenced off area to be sort of creepy and for that reason it has a very fond place in my memory. I took this picture as a result of reading the article:


A bit blurry, but I think it captures the feeling of the lot very well. I was surprised by how accurately Stilgoe described the setting and makeup.

No comments:

Post a Comment